02 January 2012

Self Q&A 2011

I've got a bunch of things I've been wanting to post since before the New Year began, and I'd like to redesign the blog. I've just been too busy. Give me a minute.

In the meantime, here's a tidy little Q&A whose questions I got from Tin's tumblr.

What did you do in 2011 that you’ve never done before?
Find a hobby I could stick with.

What countries did you visit?
Singapore.

What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Love. That's a very sad, possibly melodramatic answer, but it's honest.

What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
29 August 2011, of course; Martin and I broke up. It was fairly late in the year, but I'd say all of 2011 hinged on it.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I was learning to take myself in hand and just be happy. The breakup, painful as it was, only helped to clarify the process.

What was your biggest failure?
I could have been a better friend. I could also have been a better employee.

What was the best thing you bought?
A folding bike. It was also the worst thing I bought, considering all the difficulty I've had using it, but I'm still glad I bought it.

Whose behavior merited celebration?
  • My brother Mikko; it was great watching him navigate the post-college months much better than I did.
  • My cousin Trixi; I'm not around for her as often as I'd like, but she's become a really cool kid and is one of my favorite people to follow in Twitter.
  • My youngest brother Mon; my mom may worry about him a lot, and he still has a few things to learn about girls, but all in all, he is a good guy.
  • Martin, on the good days.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Martin, on the bad days, and certain people at the office.

Where did most of your money go?
  • Savings
  • Food
  • Rent

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
  • learning to cook simple meals in a microwave
  • architecture
  • Singapore
  • origamic architecture
  • biking
  • learning Mandarin
  • people I loved

What song/s will always remind you of 2011?
  • "Moves Like Jagger" – Maroon 5
  • "Dustbowl Dance" – Mumford & Sons
  • Adele's entire discography
  • Sia Furler's "Some People Have Real Problems" album

What do you wish you’d done more of?
De-cluttering

What do you wish you’d done less of?
Procrastinating

Did you fall in love in 2011?
No, I built up to it.

What was your favorite TV program?
HBO's "Game of Thrones."

What was the best book you read?
"The Red Tree," by Shaun Tan.

What did you want and get?
Direction.

What was your favorite film of this year?
It's a toss-up between "Crazy, Stupid, Love" and "Never Let Me Go."

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 24. I went to work. I might have had dinner with a friend or two, or I might have had dinner by myself. I'm not really sure; it was the week after the breakup, and things were a blur.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Answers, of course.

What kept you sane?
Paper crafts, good days with Martin, Sundays with Mikko, Mandarin lessons, work, good friends, and the small comfort of knowing that not everything has an answer.

What political issue stirred you the most?
RH bill.

Who did you miss?
Everyone important.

Who was the best new person you met?
No one, though I did renew some old friendships.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Life happens, and you're not too bad at moving on.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"The seasons are your friend." – Death by Chocolate, Sia Furler